"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the
essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

-Henry David Thoreau



















Sunday, March 13, 2011

More Time Outdoors

This post isn't about the cabin per se, but it is related to the cabin. For the past couple of years, I have been thinking about getting a compound bow and starting to archery hunt. I have also recently started thinking about fishing again. Well, within the last week, I have taken steps toward both.

For at least three years, I have been wanting to start archery hunting. The biggest problem was that I didn't have any place to hunt. To be a successful archery hunter, you really need to spend a lot of time scouting the area where you plan to hunt, learning the bedding, feeding and movement patterns of the deer and picking out some hunting spots that increase your chances of having a deer pass by within 10 to 20 yards. The place where I used to hunt, I would only visit 5 or 6 times a year at most to go hunting. I didn't have the opportunity to spend any real time out in the woods because it wasn't my camp or my land. I just went as a guest with my Dad. I kept saying that once I got my own place in the mountains, I would get a bow and start archery hunting. I was true to my word. Well, I went out and got a bow at least. I haven't actually started archery hunting yet, but I probably will this year as long as I can become proficient shooting the bow. It is definitely not as easy as it looks. I went to Kinsey's Outdoors during their Spring Bow Sale two weekends ago and bought a Bowtech Soldier compound bow. It is very light and is comfortable to shoot. My arrow-placing precision right now leaves a lot to be desired, but I feel that with some solid practice, I'll be nailing bullseyes in no time at all.

My Dad and I used to fish when I was younger, but I'll bet that I haven't fished in at least 25 years. I always enjoyed hunting more than fishing; probably because it involved high-powered weapons, but I remember fishing as being a tranquil way to connect with the outdoors. Amber has also recently expressed some interest in fishing so I got my fishing license at Kinsey's last week. I'm going to buy a cheap rod and reel and just hit some of the local streams. My fishing knowledge is pretty much zero so I'll be relying on the advice of a few friends as to what type of bait or lures to use and where to fish.

I see archery hunting and fishing as two additional ways to enjoy nature and wildlife. Over the last few years, I have been telling myself that I am going to start spending more time outdoors. Now that I have a cabin with thousands of acres of wilderness surrounding it, I plan to make good on that promise. I want to take advantage of every opportunity that I have to get outside and do something enjoyable. Next up on my list of potential outdoor activities: muzzleloader hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment