"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the
essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

-Henry David Thoreau



















Monday, March 21, 2011

Trail Cam Pics

After setting up the trail camera last week, I couldn't wait to go back up to the cabin and check on the pictures that we captured. I took a vacation day from work on Monday 3/21 to go up and meet with a person from Penelec. The first thing that I did when I got out of the car was to go over and pluck the memory card out of the trail cam. I wasn't sure how many pictures to expect, but I was just hoping to have some good ones. Imagine my surprise when I popped the card into my camera and saw 560 pictures! Granted, probably 3/4 of them are squirrels nibbling away on the mineral lick, but we did get some really good pictures of deer, a raccoon and what I think might be an opossum.

Looking at the first picture, you can clearly see the mineral block sitting on a rock right in front of the tree, but in all of the other pictures, it's not visible. That's because they ate the whole 33+ pound block in about a week! I wasn't sure how long it would last, but I was thinking at least a month or so. They loved that mineral lick, especially the squirrels. I must have 450 pictures of them climbing and gnawing on it. Sometimes, there are two or three squirrels visible in the same picture.






No comments:

Post a Comment