"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the
essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

-Henry David Thoreau



















Monday, April 4, 2011

Hike Findings

I took another walk out to the northeast of the cabin looking for hunting spots and just exploring. I was hoping to catch a glimpse of some of the forest denizens that I've been capturing on my trail cam, but no such luck. I did have a nice, peaceful walk though. I was out for maybe an hour. I didn't walk too far. I followed the trail to the east until it turned south toward a neighboring cabin. I left the trail and went northeast off the trail then proceeded north up over the side. After cresting the hill at the first bench, I spent a little time scouting for good hunting spots in the area. I found several places where I plan to sit when deer season rolls around.


As I was making my way back toward the cabin on the trail, I came across some objects laying on and next to a rock that caught my attention. Upon further examination, I determined them to be owl pellets. They were clumps composed of animal hair, some unidentifiable gray material and at least one piece of what appeard to be bone.








Just before I returned to the cabin, I made one other interesting discovery. About 40 yards east of the cabin site, I found an animal bone. From it's size, I would guess that it's from a deer. Bears will kill and eat fawns, so maybe this was a remnant of a recent kill. The bone was stripped clean and there were visible gnaw marks on the surface. I'm thinking that a smaller animal like a raccoon drug the bone off from where the carcass was located and gnawed on it; leaving it in the woods where I found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment